Saturday, July 15, 2006

I Love The Gong Show

After looking at RetroCrush.com's list of game show hosts I spent some time watching these gong show flicks. Wow did these take me back. Some of my happiest childhood memories are gathering around the TV with my whole family (five boys remember) and watching Chuck's brilliant little show.

When the music started, that special Gene Gene music all of us boys would hop up off the couch. We'd all do the dance. The studio audience was doin' the dance, Chuck was doin' the dance. Damn, that Gene had one happy dance.


My Hero, the unknown comic. I hope to find more clips of this madman at work. I don't know that I would've gone into comedy if I hadn't discovered this guy as a kid. Read Francois Fly (my other hero)'s interview with the Unknown here.


This one just captures the wonderful oddball talent you wouldn't see elsewhere. The zippers were another great one, playing a song on their zippers until, oops, an unfortunate accident gives one of them a falsetto.
I first saw a great band called The Mystic Knights of The Oingo Boingo on the Gong show.
I could go on an on. This show was so much fun. Check out lots more HERE.

No comments: