Monday, July 3, 2006

FOOD

I haven't posted about food in a while. I have been experimenting with Spaghetti Squash and with julienned squash. I'll put some recipes up when I have a chance to upload photos.

For you non milk drinkers, I made a batch of Almond Milk and it's great in coffee and smoothies.
1.5 cups crushed raw almonds
3 cups water
Blend for several minutes. For real. That's a long time for a blender, but blend the hell out of it.
Strain it through cheese cloth.

You'll have lots of pulp left, so let's all figure out what the hell to do with that. It's good if you compost. I should but I don't. Someday.

This is pretty expensive if you buy the almonds at Safeway. Try it once and if you like it check the farmers market or wherever else you think you can buy large amounts of almonds on the cheap.

I'm drinking a smoothie right now that's made up of

frozen blackberries, about one cup
one frozen banana
one frozen date (it's like sugar, remember to remove the pit)
and about a cup of almond milk, more or less depending on how thick you like your smoothies

Blend and drink. You may have to stop the blender and stir a few times if you don't have a smoothie maker that lets you stir while blending.

Food makes me happy.
I'm on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet right now for my Ulcerative Colitis, and I'm doing a vegan version of it. Some would compare this to trying to do the atkins diet while being vegan, but so far I'm doing alright, getting my protien from nuts, legumes and beans. The no grains (rice, wheat, corn, etc) is rough, but there are lots of people out there who believe that this diet has actually healed their U.C. so wish me luck.

No comments: