Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Ron Paul Fans!

In Chico last night a woman raised her hand during my set. "Did you just raise your hand?"

She wouldn't talk to me so, though I don't generally pick on my audience, I made fun of her a little bit. I continued my act and she continued to glare at me which of course drew my attention back to her again and again. She told me that SHE knew why she raised her hand. "Okay then, pray tell, why did you raise your hand?" Again the silent treatment. It was a secret? I asked her name. "Um... Rhonda." "You're a terrible liar. You're name so isn't Rhonda."

I felt bad that someone didn't enjoy themselves at my show. I offered her a free CD but of course a free CD of someone you think is a dick isn't much of a consolation.

Then things really got good. I ran into her and her boyfriend, a guy I actually have highschool friends in common with, at a bar after the show. There she explained that she was not upset that I was picking on her. She was upset that I was picking on Ron Paul. While discussing state's rights the subject of slavery came up and her boyfriend said the line of the night. "If people want to have slaves, and other people want to be slaves..."

"WAIT! DID YOU JUST SAY 'PEOPLE WANT TO BE SLAVES?!"

"Dude, its a fact, there were slaves who were worse off after they were freed."

"YEAH, BECAUSE THEY'D BEEN ENSLAVED AND THEN JUST DUMPED IRRESPONSIBLY IN MOST CASES WITH LITTLE OR NO SUPPORT!!!"

He drew an analogy to my saying that pot should be up the individual to decide. Slavery should also be up to the individual. I managed to get my voice back down, both in volume and pitch. "Um... if an individual wants to enter into an SNM, BND situation I don't think anyone's stopping 'em."

I left Chico feeling MUCH better about having offended them knowing that they so thoroughly deserved to be offended. Oh, and her name wasn't Rhonda.

For the record the rest of the audience had a great time!

1 comment:

JentheHumanist said...

Yup - some people want to be offended the same way some people just want to be slaves.