Monday, August 21, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine

Wow. What a great film; Quirky in the way of Harold and Maude, the mismatched, oddball personalities here are on an insane roadtrip to a California beauty pageant. The laughs come fast and furious all with an uncomfortable and dark tinge to them. Little Miss Sunshine though, is not a dark film. Brightly lit and with an optimism and even sentimentality that pervades throughout. It's a regfreshing approach to dark humor.
The cast can't be beat, especially Abigail Breslin as the young would be Little Miss Sunshine, Olive and the always fantastic Alan Arkin as Grandpa.
I give Little Miss Sunshine a 4 out of 4 and I reccommend seeing it in a crowded theatre as its a blast hearing the "I can't believe I'm laughing at this." laughs of the crowd.

What films have seen lately that are worth talking about?

4 comments:

writegrrrl said...

I saw this last night and loved it too - the kid who played the son was just awesome...

KLJ said...

Grrrl,
Yeah, he was great, they were all just stellar.

Anjacara, make sure to check back with us after you see it.

Alicia C said...

as if the other girls, painted like little trollops and swaying their hips were not freakish and disturbing enough in their own right!!! I liked Olive's little dance; it perfectly deconstructed the whole pedophilic meat market that is little girl's beauty pageants.

good movie, though, overall. Plenty of laughs. To make all those characters' lives/illusions fall apart so utterly and still have the characters somehow ENJOYING themselves!

KLJ said...

Anacara,
I've seen the beauty pagent scene up close. It's THAT bad. I got paid to video tape one. EEEEK. They couldn't pay me enough to do that again.

Coffee Cups,
TOTALLY!

Both,
Yeah,wasn't this movie just freakin' GREAT!?!?!
I may go see it again.