Friday, February 24, 2006

Watching the news

Phelps is back on the scene. The Reverend Phelps is famous for his "God Hates Fags" protests at the funerals of gay men and women. Now a Shirley Phelps (not sure of the exact relationship to the reverend) is protesting at the funerals of American soldiers, because they died and are going straight to hell since they fought for America, the gay nation! Wow. I'm speechless.

The fuss over an Arab company taking over six of our ports continues. I don't get it. Do we hate Arabs now? Why should I be more concerned about the U.A.E. having the ports than the Brits who have it now? We are at war with an Arab nation, but we're told every day we're there because we love them. We're giving them our beautiful democracy. And we're parking our battle ships in the U.A.E.'s ports, flying over their airspace and solicitinng their assistance in freezing the funds of suspected terrorist groups. It's not often I agree with Bush, but the noise being made over this feels reactionary and racist to me.

And hell, while I'm at it, Cheney is a nasty, murdering, greedy pig. Why are we so flipped over the hunting accident? I don't care that he took his time reporting it? It's not a matter of national security. I didn't need to know right away. I don't get why we're okay with him trying to kill a helpless little bird, but upset that he accidently winged a millionair lawyer. I'd be pissed if he hit the bird, but lawyer hunting, that sounds like a good time to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was an excellent opinion piece in the Bee today stating that Bush has brought this port flap upon himself. For so long this administration has blurred the lines between Arab nations in order to use 9/11 as an excuse to go to war against Iraq - which, it has never been shown had ANYTHING to do with 9/11. So now when the Bushies want to deal with an Arab nation, the American populace that has been lied to and bought those lies hook, line and sinker, want nothing to do with "those countries that attacked us." This has got to be the biggest dim bulb administration in the history of our country. :1

KLJ said...

Good point. I guess he has wanted to put them all under one banner when it's been convenient hasn't he?