Thursday, October 15, 2009

Artist/Producer

I have tried unsuccessful to resist being on the business/production end of comedy. I don't want to sell comedy I want to make comedy. I know comedians that have moved out of performing into producing and I didn't want to be one of them, but it felt like a good strategy as a performer; using the producer roll to put myself on stage more and with better acts.

I realized yesterday that while I know friends who moved into the producer role completely they weren't friends who I saw as good performers. I don't mean that in any mean spirited way at all, but if I saw one example of someone who really impressed and inspired me as performer and who lost it to producing I'd have reason to be scared. Since that isn't the case, I will continue to produce shows which gives me great contacts and puts me on great bills. I will trust that my talent is sufficient to make the most of these opportunities.

No comments: