Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bisexual Atheist Glam Rock Hipsters Unite

People ask me if I'm stoked that atheism seems to be the cool, hip, trendy thing right now.

Well, yeah. It's cool if it gets me some gigs, but it worries me too.

I can't help but think about the Bowie era when bi-sexuality was cool, hip and trendy. Yeah, the wild seventies. By the early eighties Bowie was explaining how he wasn't bisexual, but just got lost in a character he was playing. This allowed him to appear in coffee commercials. Elton John was marrying a lady. Mick Jagger was making a really crappy solo album (totally unrelated, but I can't pass an opportunity to rail against that abomination.) And even my personal favorite David Johanson of the New York Dolls was gettin' in on the act with his hilarious tune, Girls: "I really like them GIRLS. You know I love them GIRLS." Okay David, we get it, we get it. You better change your name to Buster man, 'cause you'll never live down the legacy of the New York Dolls.

I worry that come 2011 I'll be there on stage with Oral Roberts Junior, repenting, weeping, begging forgiveness for all the stuff I didn't do, and then I'll shoot a few coffee commercials.

There's a silver lining to this cloud too though. I'm becoming an increasingly high profile atheist and THAT, my friends, is money in the bank. The more photos, videos, TV interviews and newspaper articles exist that identify me as an atheist the more the mainstream, high profile Christian entertainment complex will pay for my tear stained face in front of their cameras. They would get many a red state housewife weeping with my story of debauchery and redemption. Yep, if I ever get too broke, I can just sell my soul to God. Amen.

No comments: