Saturday, August 22, 2009

Punning Contest

What a weird night. I did a show, Comedy From The Couch with my friend John Ross, up on Broadway just a few blocks from my house. I'm walkin' home after and a I run into some drunk who at first I'm worried is looking for a fight but it turns out her recognizes me as a comedian but I think he has me mixed up with another comic. It's very important to him that I admit that he beat me at a punning contest. A punning contest? So, I say, "I'm sure you did." and I try really hard to avoid puns lest I accidentally end up in another punning contest. It can be difficult NOT punning. He is trying to pun, but the furthest the efforts gets is "Yeah, you can... uh... Oh, I bet you don't..."
So, we stand there, not punning, until I decide that it's safe to say, "Okay, I have to go now. It is time for me to go to bed." speaking really slowly and deliberatlely just SURE that I'm going to pun unintentionaly and be... punished for it. SEE?! See how easily it happens? I got home safe and sound. I hope he did as well.

No comments: