Monday, September 10, 2007

Ashland Scares Us

Ashland Oregon, home of the world famous Ashland Shakespeare Festival. A seemingly nice place to stop between Sacramento and Portland.
Creepy hotel room on the way up. We both saw an extra light glowing when we sleeping. A light we couldn't find a source for when awake. Like a camera behind the mirror type deal. The little blue light was from the smoke detector, but the little red light... ?

The we found Chai Hut and the sweet, innocent, happy kid just back from burning man. He's Ashland's one redeeming quality at this point.

Ashland part II, the journey home. We stopped there again, just for groceries.
The kid took FOREVER to make my sandwich. He had bad teeth. Crank teeth. I looked at produce while waiting. Some guy smelled so strongly that it stank up the entire produce section. Seriously. I stood by some savory nice smelling stuff to cover the stink. Walking through the store later I'd know what row he was in. The row that stank when you walked by. I don't know what was going on with this guy but he smelled stronger than I smell when I smell as much as I'm capable of smelling. Not rot or urine, it was clearly just BO and he looked like a normal dude. In fact his long hair looked freshly shampooed and tangle free.

Then a thin long haired guy made a way too obvious pass at me as I headed to use the restroom. Someone was spending their retirement in the men's room so I used the women's. Meanwhile the guy that rang Bryna up showed her the "inmate" sticker he'd placed on the back of his name badge. "Inmate Bob at your service" he said or something like that. And when he rang up the magazine she was buying he held it up and moved it forward and back, "Congratulations on you impulse buy." Very weird.

Bryna was the one to notice that the sandwich the kid with the bad teeth had made me was TEN BUCKS! What the hell?! I went back to crank boy, who was hard of hearing it seemed, or just didn't like hearing much, so I asked handle bar mustache guy if the sandwich was really supposed by ten bucks. "Yeah, the small is six bucks." he answered.

I wanted to be back on the road so I restrained the urge to demand my money back. Then I noticed the sandwich didn't even have on it the avocado that was to be it's main ingredient. I took it back. The one sane person in the place was at the customer service desk. She gave me my ten bucks.
We got the hell out of Ashland.

No comments: